Hey and welcome again to Fairness, a podcast concerning the enterprise of startups the place we unpack the numbers and nuance behind the headlines.
It’s nearly Christmas, which suggests you might be caught with household in the meanwhile. No matter what, if any, holidays you might rejoice, there’s good likelihood that there are extra folks round you than regular. We’re right here to distract you from that.
To make sure that you get respite from Precise Human Interplay, the Fairness crew has ready a look-back on the 12 months. Large numbers? Test. Large themes? You already know it. Large moments of ‘wait, that occurred this 12 months?!’ Effectively, we’d have it no different manner.
Right here’s what we now have in retailer for you:
- Excessive-level enterprise capital stats from the 12 months, from around the globe together with India, Latin America, and america.
- The rise of memes and cash: Keep in mind the Gamestop/stonk saga? That was this 12 months, amazingly. So too was the Robinhood IPO, the Coinbase direct itemizing, and a number of different associated tales. Positive, by the top of the 12 months we had moved on to different items of key information, however don’t neglect how wild the beginning of 2021 was from a buying and selling perspective.
- The crypto increase: Like it or hate it, crypto was one of many key startup themes this 12 months. Capital raced into NFT marketplaces, crypto infra tasks, new blockchains, and extra. It was a gold rush, however all of the gold was digital.
- A altering creator financial system: We had little selection however to speak speaking, to speak chatting, to yammer about yammering. Sure, we riffed on the rise and fall of Clubhouse, and the bigger live-audio market. Podcasts, movies, and the creator financial system as an entire have been fairly huge narratives this 12 months, so we talked by what went down.
- We additionally touched on distant work, fintech, insurtech errors, media startups, and a grip of subjects that you just, the Fairness household, sent in via Twitter.
Did we get to all the things? Heck no. We didn’t even get shut. However that’s as a result of 2021 was a busy rattling 12 months. It began busy and by no means slowed down. What can we count on in 2022? Effectively, simply look ahead to subsequent week’s episode!
Fairness drops each Monday at 7:00 a.m. PST, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 a.m. PST, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all of the casts!