To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox every single day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Monday is right here, and we’re excited to throw ourselves into one other week of summertime tech information. Apropos summer time — because the VCs cease answering their telephones in favor of consuming elderflower lime martinis, taking part in pickleball, spelunking within the Bitcoin mines, and kite browsing (I can solely assume that’s what VCs do for his or her summer time break), it offers us tech reporters a bit extra time to go deeper on among the tales and corporations which have been itching our curiosity nerve.
In my distant previous as a startup founder, lengthy earlier than I turned a author at TechCrunch, exhibiting at TechCrunch Disrupt turned out to be a huge moment for my first startup. As an early-stage startup founder, that the hustle is a part of the sport; if your organization doesn’t have the finances to attend, you’ll be able to apply to be a volunteer and attend that means. Don’t miss the volunteer FAQ to see if it is a good choice for you! — Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
Startups and VC
The regulatory atmosphere surrounding crypto is shifting within the US because the SEC takes purpose at main gamers within the web3 world, promising to shake up enterprise as regular with aggressive motion. David Nage discusses how regulatory scrutiny is impacting enterprise funding in web3. It’s an important dialog with Lucas and Anita on this week’s episode of Chain Response, for you podcast followers!
Oui Capital, an Africa-focused VC agency primarily based in Lagos and Massachusetts, introduced at this time that it has accomplished the primary closing of its $30 million second fund, Tage experiences. The agency seeks to strengthen its presence on the continent.
Extra extra extra:
- Headline of the week: Ugh, why is Natasha M so good! Don’t miss her Startups Weekly, the succinct recap of what’s what within the land of startups this previous week. Additionally, “The bootstrapped are coming, the bootstrapped are coming” is simply straight-up :chefs-kiss:.
- Like video games, however chainier: The runaway success of Axie Infinity and StepN has satisfied a flurry of entrepreneurs that web3 gaming is the longer term. In Rita’s piece, gaming vets promise to make blockchain video games enjoyable and sustainable.
- Nonetheless equal, simply with fatter coffers: Equal Ventures has a brand new pair of funds. The New York Metropolis–primarily based agency has closed a $95 million second fund and its first alternative fund, value $75 million, Natasha M sleuthed out from the agency’s SEC filings.
- Discuss to the machine: UiPath has acquired Reinfer, a London-based startup that’s growing pure language processing (NLP) instruments for enterprises, Paul experiences.
- Ixnay on the Chipper Money: Kenya has directed all banks to cease coping with Chipper Money and Flutterwave, claiming that the businesses are unlicensed, Annie experiences.
- Extra Buoyant local weather market: The climate-focused VC Buoyant Ventures targets $100 million fund because the local weather market continues to evolve, Harri experiences.
Construct a strong deck to your quarterly board conferences
Board conferences are nice for getting suggestions in your progress and your plans for the longer term, however what’s one of the simplest ways to inform them what’s happening?
In keeping with Ridge Ventures associate Yousuf Khan, typically one of the best and easiest method to “make sure you’re offering board members with the data they wish to see is to simply ask them.”
“Reaching out to your board not solely helps present a way of route, it additionally offers you the chance to construct your relationship. Folks respect the chance to weigh in,” he says.
Khan additionally lays out seven ideas for constructing a presentation to offer your board updates in your progress, plans, the product and financials.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You’ll be able to join right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
Hyundai is contemplating buying the South Korea–primarily based lidar-free autonomous mobility platform 42dot. A spokesperson of 42dot advised Kate that the startup is in talks, however cautioned that phrases, together with stake measurement and deal valuation, haven’t materialized but.
In one of many head-scratchiest strikes shortly, Spotify introduced it should introduce a Play button and a Shuffle button on the prime of albums’ playlists to make it simpler to play the music the best way you want, Sarah experiences. Plot twist: the separate buttons are solely out there to paid subscribers. As Sarah concludes, “Streamers could also be disenchanted to search out out that what needs to be an app replace in favor of higher usability is oddly being bought to them as a motive to improve.”
Just a few extra:
- You by no means know once you want denims in 25 minutes: E-commerce large Amazon launches same-day supply from choose retail shops, together with PacSun and Diesel, Aisha experiences.
- Accountless Twitter in testing: Ivan experiences on a brand new take a look at from Twitter, the place now you can use Twitter’s iOS app with out signing up for an account.
- Pinterest Shuffles into your temper boards: Social media firm Pinterest debuts a brand new app, Shuffles, for collage-making and moodboards, Sarah experiences.
- Uh-oh: Issues are getting (much more) fascinating in hacker land, as hackers steal passwords for accessing 140,000 cost terminals, experiences Zack.
- AI could be going too far: There’s a motive over 450,000 individuals learn Rising Tech Brew — the three-times-a-week e mail delivering the most recent know-how information impacting you and your world. Better part? It’s free and solely takes 5 minutes to learn, so there’s actually no motive to not strive it. To remain up-to-date on the most recent tech and AI advances, join the Rising Tech Brew publication free of charge.