Can’t see the audio participant? Click on right here to hear on Acast. You may also hear on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, or wherever you hearken to podcasts.
Click on right here for a transcript of the episode.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) put abortion again on Republicans’ agenda this week with a legislative proposal calling for a nationwide ban on most abortions after 15 weeks of being pregnant. For a lot of in his occasion, it was an unwelcome intrusion that might add to public unease with the occasion’s efforts to restrict entry to abortion as they give the impression of being towards the midterm elections.
The World Well being Group prompt this week that the tip of the covid-19 pandemic is close by, however that doesn’t imply there’s an finish to second-guessing about how public well being officers reacted or their plans going ahead.
This week’s panelists are Mary Agnes Carey of KHN, Rachel Cohrs of Stat, Sandhya Raman of CQ Roll Name, and Margot Sanger-Katz of The New York Occasions.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Graham seemed to be attempting to construct consensus amongst conservatives along with his invoice. Republicans have been startled how the Supreme Courtroom’s determination this summer season ending a constitutional proper to abortion has energized voters against the transfer. In some crimson states, confusion has arisen over how strict a ban lawmakers can assist. Graham’s invoice would permit states to enact abortion legal guidelines which are extra restrictive however would cap efforts by extra progressive states to maintain abortion authorized later in being pregnant. He had the backing of a number of influential anti-abortion teams.
- That didn’t appear to matter to many Capitol Hill Republicans. Senate Minority Chief Mitch McConnell was dismissive of the proposal, saying the difficulty must be handled on a state degree, and refused to decide to mentioning the invoice if Republicans seize the Senate within the fall elections. Conservatives have lengthy argued that abortion entry must be a state determination.
- Graham’s announcement was inconvenient for Capitol Hill Republicans. A lot of the political debate on abortion entry had been targeted on state races, however his invoice permits Democrats to make it a problem in congressional races, too.
- Teams that oppose abortion say that Graham’s effort is an efficient first step towards setting coverage for the nation, particularly since states might proceed to be extra restrictive.
- Prior to now, the 15-week gestational ban has been pretty nicely supported by the general public, in response to opinion polling. However new surveys recommend People’ views could also be shifting as they witness the implications of the Supreme Courtroom determination and tragic tales seem about pregnancies wherein fetal anomalies are found late or a mom’s well being is impaired in late being pregnant.
- On the covid-19 entrance, World Well being Group Director-Normal Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus instructed reporters Wednesday that the covid pandemic isn’t over however was upbeat concerning the battle towards the virus. “The tip is in sight,” he stated.
- His feedback got here as a gaggle of world well being specialists, the Lancet Covid-19 Fee, blamed the WHO, the U.S. authorities, and others for inadequate coordination in combating the illness. And a report by Politico and the German newspaper Welt appears at 4 non-governmental well being organizations that had an affect on pandemic efforts.
- Regardless of Adhanom Ghebreyesus’ feedback, public well being officers within the U.S. are pushing arduous for People to get one other covid booster this fall. And the state of affairs factors out that public well being officers might not have a superb deal with on methods to transition from treating covid as an emergency to an ongoing well being menace.
- The outlook can also be muddled as a result of the Biden administration has requested for extra money from Congress to proceed to fund vaccination and testing efforts, however congressional Republicans seem unlikely to assist that effort. They consider it’s time for the federal government to maneuver out of that effort and permit the common well being business to take over.
- The newest statistics from the Census Bureau present a near-record low within the variety of people who find themselves uninsured. However most specialists are involved as a result of as soon as the covid emergency ends, states will once more be allowed to recalibrate their Medicaid rolls and many individuals who’ve been lined by the federal-state well being program through the pandemic may very well be pushed off authorities protection.
Plus, for additional credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week they assume you need to learn, too:
Mary Agnes Carey: KHN’s “As State Establishments Shut, Households of Longtime Residents Face Agonizing Decisions” by Tony Leys
Rachel Cohrs: Politico’s “A New Strategy to Home Violence” by Joanne Kenen
Sandhya Raman: The Philadelphia Inquirer’s “Philly’s Youngsters Are Grieving Alone From the Far-Reaching Trauma of Gun Violence, Advocates Say” by Abraham Gutman
Margot Sanger-Katz: The New York Occasions’ “Regardless of Their Affect and Intensive Entry to Info, Members of Congress Can Purchase and Promote Shares With Few Restrictions” and “These 97 Members of Congress Reported Trades in Corporations Influenced by Their Committees” by Kate Kelly, Adam Playford, and Alicia Parlapiano
Additionally mentioned on this week’s podcast:
Politico and Welt’s “How Invoice Gates and Companions Used Their Clout to Management the World Covid Response — With Little Oversight” by Erin Banco, Ashleigh Furlong, and Lennart Pfahler
The Census Bureau’s “Earnings, Poverty, and Well being Insurance coverage Protection in the USA: 2021”
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
And subscribe to KHN’s What the Well being? on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, or wherever you hearken to podcasts.
KHN (Kaiser Well being Information) is a nationwide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being points. Along with Coverage Evaluation and Polling, KHN is without doubt one of the three main working packages at KFF (Kaiser Household Basis). KFF is an endowed nonprofit group offering info on well being points to the nation.
USE OUR CONTENT
This story could be republished free of charge (particulars).
We encourage organizations to republish our content material, freed from cost. Right here’s what we ask:
It’s essential to credit score us as the unique writer, with a hyperlink to our khn.org web site. If doable, please embrace the unique creator(s) and “Kaiser Well being Information” within the byline. Please protect the hyperlinks within the story.
It’s vital to notice, not all the things on khn.org is obtainable for republishing. If a narrative is labeled “All Rights Reserved,” we can not grant permission to republish that merchandise.
Have questions? Tell us at KHNHelp@kff.org