The gunfire rang out Monday afternoon within the farms that dot the coastal hills of San Mateo County in and round Half Moon Bay.
When it was over, seven individuals have been lifeless at a number of agricultural areas. Then, the alleged gunman was discovered parked subsequent to a Sheriff’s Workplace substation, the place he was taken into custody. It got here two days after the mass capturing in Monterey Park and fewer than two weeks after the Goshen, Calif., capturing that left six lifeless.
Here’s what we all know:
The place have been the shootings?
- The violence occurred at two farms a few mile aside.
- Authorities discovered the primary 4 victims shot to demise within the 12700 block of San Mateo Street in an unincorporated space of the county simply earlier than 2:30 p.m. A fifth sufferer was additionally discovered within the space and brought to Stanford Medical Middle with life-threatening accidents,
- Minutes later, in an space a few mile away within the 2100 block of Cabrillo Freeway, deputies discovered three extra victims lifeless of obvious gunshot wounds.
- San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus stated among the victims have been killed in entrance of youngsters who lived close by and had just lately been launched from college. “For youngsters to witness that is unspeakable,” she stated.
What do we all know in regards to the gunman?
- He was recognized as Chunli Zhao, and authorities stated he was an worker on one of many farms. He’s believed to be a resident of Half Moon Bay.
- He was noticed sitting in his automotive on the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Workplace substation in Half Moon Bay at about 4:40 p.m., officers stated. Video from ABC 7 confirmed deputies taking a person to the bottom within the car parking zone. The person was carrying a white cap, vest and crimson long-sleeve shirt.
- Authorities stated they’re nonetheless making an attempt to find out a motive.
What in regards to the victims?
- The names of these shot haven’t been launched. They’re believed to be staff on the farms.
- A reunification middle was arrange for farmworkers displaced by the shootings. San Mateo County Supervisor Ray Mueller was on the middle Monday night time to talk to displaced farmworkers and households of the victims. He stated that one household came upon in entrance of him that their relative had died within the capturing. He estimated that about 30 to 40 individuals have been there with him as of seven:30 p.m.